Choosing the Best Breast Implants for Your Body
- Posted on: Dec 30 2021
Breast augmentation surgery is considered for many reasons. Ultimately, this procedure helps patients obtain the shape they have wanted for a long time, perhaps their entire adult life. The right breast implants can firm, enlarge, and fill out the chest area to align with a patient’s personality and preferences and help them feel better about how they fit into bathing suits, bras, and other clothing. Breast augmentation has had some bumps in the road but continues to be viewed as a safe and successful way to enhance the breasts. Here, we discuss one of the most important factors in getting the most satisfying results from this procedure, how to choose the right breast implants for your body. We’ve found that the more informed a patient is about their choices, the more confident they are in their decision to have breast augmentation.
Breast Implant Type is Only the First Consideration
Breast augmentation is often approached with one question: saline or silicone. Saline implants are water-filled silicone shells. Silicone implants are silicone material inside and out. Some silicone implants are form-stable, meaning that the silicone is unlikely to migrate should a leak or rupture occur.
Silicone breast implants are generally more preferable to patients and surgeons. This is because they look and feel more like natural breast tissue. However, this option is more expensive and requires a longer incision. It is also more difficult to tell if a silicone implant has ruptured. Patients are advised to schedule MRI screenings every few years because this is the best way to observe implants for structural integrity.
Saline breast implants can be placed with a smaller incision because they are inserted in a deflated state. The surgeon fills the implants after they are inside the breast capsule. Saline implants are less expensive than silicone models and tend to be very uniform in shape and firmness. That said, the firmness of saline implants has a slightly less natural feel than silicone.
The Matter of Size
The objective of most breast augmentation procedures is to achieve natural-looking enlargement. Patients need to understand how to determine which size implant is best for them. Three points of consideration include:
- Body type. Large implants on a petit body frame can disturb the natural symmetry of the body.
- Body shape. Patients with wider chests are typically well-suited to larger implants.
- Age. Patients whose breasts have lost volume may need a different type of implant than those whose breasts are relatively perky but small.
Some additional tips to help you choose the best breast implants include:
- Discuss your objectives for breast augmentation and your reasons for wanting the procedure.
- Look at photos, and even bring some to your appointment, but understand that your surgeon will look at implants based on your body type and shape.
- Look beyond bra cup size. This is not a good measurement for choosing breast implants because the two are completely different. Your surgeon will discuss implant size in terms of ccs of volume, not cup or clothing size.
- Remember that bigger isn’t always better.
Breast augmentation can be an incredibly gratifying decision. To get your process started, contact our NYC office at (212) 508-0000.
Posted in: Breast Augmentation