Is Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation Better than Implants?
- Posted on: Mar 30 2020
The field of plastic surgery has existed for many years. That doesn’t mean there is no room for innovation. In the expansion of aesthetic medicine, we can see several significant advances. The use of fat to augment the breasts is one of them. Committed to providing patients with the best and most customized care, Dr. Shridharani has furthered his surgical skills into this area of breast surgery and is pleased to offer patients the option of natural breast augmentation using fat transfer. The development of this technique is important, but does it represent a new norm in plastic surgery? Is fat transfer better than breast implants? Here, we discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each.
The advantages of fat grafting include:
- Fat transfer involves harvesting fat from your own body to insert into the breast tissue. The body will not reject fat or respond adversely to it. Being that the breasts are naturally shaped by fat, the use of fat for augmentation looks and feels the most natural.
- Fat transfer involves very small incisions, so there is virtually no risk of significant scarring.
- Natural fat integrates into the breast tissue, so there is no risk of rippling or breast-thinning.
- No maintenance is necessary for naturally-augmented breasts. No MRIs or replacement at a later date.
The disadvantages of fat grafting include:
- A percentage of fat cells will naturally die off, making fat transfer somewhat unpredictable.
- There is a slight risk of developing calcifications after fat injections into the breasts. This could interfere with mammogram screenings.
- One fat grafting procedure can achieve approximately 1 cup size increase. The process can be repeated at a later time for a more significant increase.
- Nodules or lumps may develop in the breasts. Indentations and irregularities could develop where liposuction is performed to obtain fat. It is vital to have fat transfer breast augmentation with an experienced plastic surgeon to decrease these risks.
The advantages of breast implants include:
- Breast implants provide predictable results that are customized to each patient.
- New types of form-stable silicone give implants a more natural look and feel.
- Breast augmentation affects only one part of the body; there is no additional surgical area.
- Implants can be removed more easily than fat.
Disadvantages of breast implants include:
- Implants may leak or rupture. Depending on the type of implant a woman has, she may not be immediately aware of this. The compromised implant must be removed.
- Implants may cause visible rippling in some patients. It is critical that appropriately sized implants are selected based on skin thickness and body frame.
- Capsular contracture may occur, causing thick scar tissue to distort or harden the breast.
Explore Your Options
There are benefits and potential risks with all surgeries. When you visit Luxurgery in NYC for breast enhancement, you can expect to receive comprehensive information regarding your options to help you make an educated decision about your care. Schedule your consultation at (212) 508-0000.
Posted in: Breast Augmentation